GulfNews Sports

Tiger Woods transferred to Los Angeles hospital for further treatment

Golf|: Los Angeles: Golf superstar Tiger Woods has been transferred to a Los Angeles medical facility for further treatment, according to a statement Thursday from the hospital where he underwent surgery for serious leg injuries after his car crash. “Mr. Tiger Woods was transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for continuing orthopedic care and recovery,” said Anish Mahajan, CEO of the hospital where Woods was first taken. “On behalf of our staff, it was an honour to provide orthopedic trauma care to one of our generation’s greatest athletes.” Woods was driving alone Tuesday morning in a Los Angeles suburb on a road notorious for accidents when his SUV hit the center median, crossed into the opposing lane, struck a tree and then rolled over several times. The 15-time major champion underwent surgery to repair “significant orthopedic injuries” to his lower right leg and ankle. This included the insertion of a rod into Woods’s shin bone and the use of “a combination of screws and pins” to stabilize his foot and ankle. “To respect patient confidentiality, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center will not provide any further information,” added Mahajan. Woods’ latest injuries have cast doubt on the golfing legend’s ability to compete at the top level again. The crash comes just two months after the Woods underwent his fifth back operation. The first officer to arrive at the scene of the crash said it was “very fortunate” that Woods even came out of it alive. He was found conscious, appearing “calm and lucid” and able to identify himself as “Tiger,” Deputy Carlos Gonzalez said Tuesday. Woods was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, said Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva. The most Woods could face would be a low-level offense known as an infraction if investigators conclude that he was speeding or not paying attention.

GulfNews Sports

Ex-US Olympics gymnastics coach John Geddert kills himself after abuse charges

Sport|: Los Angeles: Former US Olympics women’s gymnastics coach John Geddert died by suicide on Thursday, his body found hours after prosecutors filed human trafficking and sexual assault charges against him, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said. “My office has been notified that the body of John Geddert was found late this afternoon after taking his own life,” Nessel said in a statement. “This is a tragic end to a tragic story for everyone involved.” Earlier Thursday, Nessel had announced a 24-count complaint against Geddert, who owned a training facility where convicted sex offender Larry Nassar served as the gym doctor. It included sexual assault charges involving an unnamed athlete between the ages of 13 and 16, and alleged that Geddert’s treatment of young gymnasts constituted human trafficking “as he reportedly subjected his athletes to forced labor or services under extreme conditions that contributed to them suffering injuries and harm. “Geddert then neglected those injuries that were reported to him by the victims and used coercion, intimidation, threats and physical force to get them to perform to the standard he expected,” prosecutors said. Nessel had said at a press conference streamed on social media Thursday morning that Geddert was expected to surrender to authorities on Thursday and be arraigned in the afternoon. The ex-coach came under scrutiny because of his close personal and professional relationship with Nassar, the former US national team doctor sentenced to life in prison over the sexual abuse of multiple young female gymnasts under the guise of medical treatment. A personal coach to US gymnast Jordyn Wieber and owner of the Twistars training facility in suburban Lansing, Michigan, Geddert was accused by many Nassar victims of requiring them to be treated by Nassar. USA Gymnastics suspended Geddert in 2018. He immediately announced his retirement and said he had “zero knowledge” of Nassar’s crimes. However, in three weeks of sentencing hearings during which some 200 women, girls and victims’ family members confronted Nassar by reading victim impact statements, Twistars gymnasts said they had endured physical and verbal abuse by Geddert. Amy Preston, mother of an unidentified Nassar victim who was trained at Twistars, said in court that her daughter suffered under Geddert’s emotional abuse, which she said Nassar exploited to build trust with the young gymnast. “John Geddert behaved as brutally as they say, and Larry was as kind as they speak. A very toxic and lethal combination as it turns out,” Preston said. Prosecutors stressed on Thursday that the only charge against Geddert specifically linked to Nassar was that of lying to authorities when asked whether he knew the doctor was sexually abusing athletes. Otherwise, they said “the crimes alleged against Mr Geddert are his own.” He was also charged with racketeering, with prosecutors alleging he trafficked 15 athletes for financial gain. ‘Never secret’ Nessel acknowledged that the forced labour-human trafficking charges “have not typically been used and applied to the set of circumstances that I think exist in this case.” But she said months of reviewing case law convinced prosecutors they are applicable. “The victims suffer from disordered eating, including bulimia and anorexia, suicide attempts and self-harm,” Nessel said, adding that Geddert subjected his gymnasts to “excessive physical conditioning, repeatedly being forced to perform even while injured, extreme emotional abuse and physical abuse, including sexual assault.” Rachael Denhollander, a former gymnast who was the first woman to publicly accuse Nassar of sexual assault, tweeted that Geddert’s abusive behavior was widely known as early as 2000. “Geddert’s abuse, like so much, was never a secret. EVER,” she tweeted. “In my memoir I wrote about knowing of it even as a club level gymnast in 2000. Because we have to grapple with the reality that it was known, and no one stopped him. It was known, and he was promoted and given more power.”