COVID-19

GulfNews Entertainment

Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar slams reports of taking a pay cut for ‘Bell Bottom’

BollyWood|: Pandemic-induced pay cuts may be a reality for many, but Bollywood superstar Akshay Kumar isn’t one of them. On June 14, the bankable actor slammed a news report which claimed that he had reduced his remuneration significantly for his upcoming film ‘Bell Bottom’. In a tweet dripping with sarcasm, he wrote: “What waking up to FAKE Scoops feels like!” To drive home his point, he also shared the link of the article that carried the alleged false news. The news report quoted an industry source claiming that ‘Bell Bottom’ producer Vashu Bhagnani will now cough up Rs300 million lesser than the original actor’s fee. The article quoted an anonymous source and said: “‘Bell Bottom’ was supposed to release in the month of April, however, due to the second wave of Covid-19 pandemic, the release has been deferred. The delay was not accounted for and also resulted in a spike in the budget of ‘Bell Bottom’. Being primarily a film that caters to the tier 1 and 2 cities, Vashu Bhagnani wanted to keep the budget in check and hence, he requested his leading man, Akshay to scale down his acting fees by Rs30 crores, as the rise in budget aside, there looms a lot of uncertainty on the release too. If theatrical, it’s a given that the film wouldn’t earn what it would have in a normal scenario.” The article goes on to comment on how gracious Kumar was to the producer’s request towards slashing fees. But Kumar isn’t buying it and didn’t display any grace when slamming them for wrong reportage. Akshay Kumar and Manushi Chillar, the stars of Prithviraj Image Credit: Instagram/ManushiChillar The self-made actor has always spoken about how bankable he is at the box-office and how he values money more than film awards. He had famously opened up about how several organisers of Bollywood awards had suggested that they would hand over an award if he performed at the event for free. But Kumar was not into barter and preferred to just be paid handsomely for his moves on stage. Earlier in the day, Kumar’s upcoming project ‘Prithviraj’ also ran into trouble with a right-wing group demanding a change in the title as they found it offensive to the Hindu ruler. They wanted the makers to reflect the full name of the revered Hindu emperor.

GulfNews Entertainment

Indian National Award winning Kannada actor Sanchari Vijay dies; Kiccha Sudeep, others pay tribute

Indian National Award-winning Kannada actor Sanchari Vijay has died in a private hospital in Bengaluru on Monday. On Saturday, he was seriously injured in a bike accident while returning home from a friend's house and was transferred to a hospital in critical condition according to media reports. It was reported that Vijay suffered injuries to the right side of his head and thigh and had to be admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. After undergoing surgery for brain hemorrhage, Vijay was declared brain dead by the doctors. Siddesh Kumar, Vijay's brother, told the media that the family had chosen to donate his organs. “Doctors have informed us that his brain stem has failed and the possibilities of him reviving are very slim. As you all know he always worked for the betterment of society. He even worked round the clock on the relief efforts during the Covid-19 pandemic. So, we have decided to donate his organs. We believe that it will bring him peace. He will continue to help the society even in death. Thanks to everyone who tried to do their best to help him,” the actor’s brother said. Condolences started pouring in for Vijay as soon as the news of his demise was announced. Kannada actor Sudeep took to Twitter to share his condolences. Vijay was honoured with the National Award for his portrayal of a transgender character in the highly acclaimed film ‘Naanu Avanalla...Avalu’. He was last seen in the film ‘ACT 1978’, which was released last year. Vijay’s acting debut was through the 2011 film ‘Rangappa Hogbitna’ and has since appeared in films like ‘Harivu’ and ‘Oggarane’.

GulfNews World

'Honour' killing? Indian police file case against family after they claimed newlywed died of COVID-19

India|: Meerut: Thirteen days after a newlywed woman died, her parents claimed that she had succumbed to Covid. Now, the Meerut police has exhumed her body and pressed murder charges against her family. This was done on Sunday on the basis of a complaint lodged by her husband. Farmaan, 30, has alleged that Saina was killed by her family members because she had married against their wishes. Saina, 27, a resident of Lisadi gate, got married to Farmaan and they got their marriage registered on May 17. Saina died under mysterious circumstances on the night of May 31. Farmaan claims he was told by his in-laws that Saina complained of stomach ache and later succumbed to it. However, recently, he was tipped-off that his wife could have been killed by her parents who were unhappy with the marriage. In his complaint, Farmaan said he is in possession of an audio recording which is ‘testimony to the torture of his wife when the first attempt was made to kill her.’ A case of murder, disappearance of evidence and criminal conspiracy was registered against six named accused, including the father and uncle of Saina at Lisadi Gate police station. Arvind Chaurasia, circle officer of Meerut Kotwali, said, “As evidence, we have also received an audio recording but we are yet to ascertain its authenticity. We will take further action based on the findings of the post-mortem report.”